Public transportation (railway and bus) operates extensively in Kobe City, enabling easy access to many places. The shinkansen "Shin-Kobe Station," Kobe Airport, and Kansai International Airport located near Kobe also make domestic and overseas access very convenient.
Introducation to Kobe
Greetings from the Mayor
One of Japan’s largest cities, Kobe has developed around a major international port. Nestled between the mountains and the sea, it is a diverse city blessed with lush nature, attractive cityscape and beautiful countryside. Ever since our port opened to foreign trade in 1868, Kobe attracted people from all over the world and continued developing as a multicultural city, welcoming diverse cultures and trends. In addition to manufacturing and numerous other industries, Kobe is home to various groundbreaking national projects, including the Kobe Biomedical Innovation Cluster and a world-class supercomputer, called Fugaku. Located in the Kansai region – Japan’s second largest economic zone – Kobe has access to an excellent transportation network, including an international airport, numerous expressways, and an extensive railway network that includes the famous bullet trains. The city offers a safe and comfortable living environment for foreign professionals, with easy access to international schools, various places of worship, foreign clubs, and restaurants serving food from every corner of the world in addition to an excellent selection of local specialties, including Kobe beef and sake. This welcoming environment motivated many international companies to choose Kobe as the base of operation for their Japanese subsidiaries, and the city is highly regarded by the business people from around the globe. Finally, in terms of the quality of life, Kobe was ranked 2nd among all cities in Asia by the Mercer’s 2019 Quality of Living Survey, surpassed only by Singapore. I am certain that all of you reading this website today have a great interest in working in Japan, so it is my sincere hope that you will choose Kobe and find success in your career here in our city.
Hisamoto Kizo Mayor of Kobe
Overview of Kobe City
- 1.52 million people (including 49,000 non-Japanese citizens) (2020)
- 557 ㎢
- Gross domestic product in the city
- ¥6.5 trillion (2016)
- Number of business establishments in the city
- 69,736 business establishments (2016)
- Number of containers handled at Kobe Port
- 2.87 million TEU (2019)
- Number of universities in the city
- 24 schools (2020)
- Schools for non-Japanese citizens
- 8 schools (2020)
- Sister / friendship cities
- Seattle (USA), Marseille (France), Tianjin (China), Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Riga (Latvia), Brisbane (Australia), Barcelona (Spain), Incheon Metropolitan City (South Korea)
- Goodwill cooperation cities
- Philadelphia City (USA), Daegu Metropolitan City (South Korea)
- Sister / friendship ports
- Seattle Port (USA), Rotterdam Port (Netherlands), Tianjin Port (China)
Leading companies in Kobe City
Kobe is one of Japan's leading economic cities that developed with the international trading port, Kobe Port. The climate of the port town and sophisticated consumers supports a lifestyle and cultural industry of apparel, shoes, sake, confectionery, and pearls, in addition to heavy industries, such as mechanical metals, chemicals, shipbuilding, and railways. It has also formed a cluster as "Kobe Medical Industry City” in recent years. Industries such as medical care and biotechnology are also concentrated in the city.
- Asahi Holdings, Inc.
- ASICS Corporation
- AIRBUS HELICOPTERS JAPAN CO., LTD.
- GEISLINGER K.K.
- Kamigumi Co.,Ltd.
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd.
- KENKO Mayonnaise Co., Ltd.
- Kobe Steel, Ltd.
- GE Power Solutions Japan K.K.
- SYSMEX CORPORATION
- Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd.
- TOA Corporation
- Toho Co., Ltd.
- Eli Lilly Japan KK's
- Nippon Boehringer Ingelheim Co ., Ltd.
- Nestlé Japan Ltd
- Noevir Holdings Co., Ltd.
- NORITZ CORPORATION
- Bayer Yakuhin, Ltd.
- Bando Chemical Industries, Ltd.
- Fujicco Co., Ltd.
- P&G Japan G. K.
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Ltd. Kobe Shipyard & Machinery Works
- MITSUBISHI ELECTRIC
- Mitsuboshi Belting Ltd.
- ROCK FIELD CO., LTD.
- WORLD CO., LTD.
*Listed in alphabetical order
Companies with partial capital of 5 billion yen or more From INVEST IN KOBE General Corporate Investment